Friday, March 12, 2010

Move Move Move Move Move Move Move

Sometimes i feel like the only thing that Dane and I have been doing since we got engaged was move! I moved out of my parents house after high school ended. Only 4 short months after that i moved back for 2 weeks to their house...waiting for my dear husband to come home from his deployment to Iraq.

Then started the military moves; I rode the bus (quite a long ride at about 45 hrs) from Salt Lake, Utah to Killeen, Texas where a friend of Danes let me crash at her house for a few days (even tho she had never met me before, for which we were exteremly grateful) while Dane made the trip home. We were lucky in Texas; Nadine let us borrow her husbands car, since he was deployed, while we were there without ours. We got our apartment leased very quickly, and even getting a majority of our "first apartment furniture", mostly from Goodwill, in only 2 short days. But then came the hard part...moving all of my things and some of Danes from Idaho to Texas.

Just 3 months later we started our Trek to Colorado. I have to say that move was very hard for me because i had a very good friend there, a mentor of sorts, that showed me the trade of a military wife, and i didnt know if i would ever have the chance to see her again. One of the things i must say military life is that you get to meet many people, but you also have to leave them behind. Its hard. I think the more moves i have the more i will get used to not being able to take my friendships/relationships with me.

We arrived here in Colorado in June of last yr. I have been to Denver before and i remembered that Colorado has wonderful scenery, which Texas was lacking. It seemed more like home...to be by the mountains, but it is a much higher altitutde and that threw me off for a good month. I love our life here. A cousin of mine, Josh, whom i hadnt seen in 8 years lives here. I got to meet his wonderful wife, Laura, and we have spent many nights together just hanging out. It was nice to have an instant friendship once we got here...it was easier to adjust. It felt like Texas where I had made a connection with someone very fast and i was never alone. Soon after we moved a couple with a young daughter moved in downstairs. I was on my way out to look for a job when i noticed the moving van. I went in to say hello, never knowing that the decision to stop and welcome a neighbor would change my life here in Colorado. I ended up staying almost all day, helping my new friend, Kori, unpack. I went downstairs nearly every day after that until i found a job, and even after getting my job i stayed close to my neighbor. She has been my best friend here, and its going to be difficult to leave again. I know that she will always be my friend, just as i beleive Nadine always will be, but i hope that our paths cross sometime in the future.

Now here we are.....getting ready for the 5th move since September 2008, having been here for less than a yr. I have to say that this is the fastest move me have made. We found out just yesterday that Dane will be reporting to Joint Base Lewis-McChord on May 10th and that we will be leaving here (because he has alot of leave days given to him to move) in 28 days or less. I am extremely grateful that we do not have to pack most of our belongings. I have heard my fair share of horror stories about military moves but i have decided that if this move is like the last one was we should be fine because i found that as long as i quadruple checked our inventory list and serial numbers of our tvs we would be ok. Hopefully, nothing gets broken; but hey if it does...at least we didnt pay much for it.

As many of you know, we are making this move to be closer to Danes son, Omen. I am glad that Dane had the chance to reenlist so that he could make it possible. Dane has been a wonderful daddy since he found out about his son and i am so proud of him. I cant wait to see him with his son for the first time, and many times after that, because i know he is going to be the best Dad ever. Once again when we get up to Washington, i will be able to have an instant relationship with not just one person but 3. 1) Danes son, 2) Omen's mother Sara & 3) Sara's mother Wendy. Already Sara and Wendy have been helpful to the moving process. I am one of the lucky ones. I get along very well with Sara and she gets along well with me, even tho i am the step mother i am involved and that makes things easier for me, if not for all of us.

I know this post has been long...sorry. But i feel the need to say that this is the best move we will ever make. Although we have moved alot i would not have asked Dane to give up this move, because he did have the choice. This move is all because of one little boy, that Dane and I love very much. This move is worth it, more than any of the rest of them will be, because Omen is extremely important to both of us and he deserves to have a mommy & a daddy (& a mommy ;) ) and Omen will always come first in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited for this new chapter in your lives! There's a reason it's all happening so fast.

    It never gets easier saying goodbye to those you bond with, you just learn to adjust better. I was very sad to leave TX and am making new friendships here...slowly, after a few moves you tend to hold back a bit longer, LOL

    Good luck girl, you guys will be great!

    ReplyDelete